PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how 2 b a good passenger...
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2003, 19:51
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I have been paxing for some 38 years and have seen little by way of bad behaviour - by either SLF or CC - but this might simply mean that I have not travelled far enough!

The main problem is beyond anyone's control. The reduction in due respect for others and their body and property is widely known in modern society.

When my first flight was due, I was nine years old and my parents told me (and my elder brother and sister) to, "Behave in the aircraft, as if you are sitting in the living room of mummy and daddy's friends." In other words, to be on our very best tip-top behaviour.

How many scarents (spelling is deliberate! ) tell their children that now?

I recall a discussion with CC on my way down to Montego Bay some years ago. As the children ran ragged around the aisles with no one to restrain them, she said: "If I tell the parents to stop their children running around, they will just tell me that they hurting no one and not accept my point that they are hurting the other passengers. If I stop the children running around, I would be in danger of getting my ankles kicked."

With regards to mothers with small children she said, "They get on board and say 'Give us a nappy'. As if she has not looked at the map/ticket and realised that she and her baby are going to be in the a/c for seven hours or more."

People who miss these basics are probably beyond knowing how to behave on public transport. That is because they think that the transport is actually private and for their exclusive benefit.

As for The 10 Commandments. If we cannot get folks to study for their school exams OR to know where Montego Bay is and how long it will take to get there ...