PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS eases entry tests for women
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 18:19
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,692 Likes on 778 Posts
I believe the point being made here is that the donkey factor - picking those that can carry the most the farthest - has never been the purpose of the first phase of training. Rather it was to stretch those participating to the very limit physically and mentally and see who cracked and who didn’t. In other words it is more a test of character and temperament than endurance.

Yes, it sets limits on weight and distance, but based on the median for male soldiers in order to eliminate the 90%,the same way ejector seats were designed to accommodate the median male 90%. Which proved inadequate when female pilots came along - which didn’t prove a failure of the females involved, rather than a failure in the design.

It may be that the phase 1 test was designed based on a rigorous scientific investigation of the task requirements of the SF in combat, but I doubt it.

If, and I say, if, the initial phase 1 weeding out process can be adjusted so that females who are also of the desired small percentile pass selection; and that the subsequent training and selection process identifies those who have the right qualities, the end result may be a plus.

Not every quality sought in the SF depend on the size of the muscles, much on intelligence, perseverance, ingenuity and courage.