PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 17:00
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n5296s
Curious about this. I got an hour in the G2 at Redhill a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it, including a couple of autos. They went well, but not sure what makes it best/easiest. I have literally hundreds of autos in the R44 and don't find it especially difficult. Of course you have to be super focussed on everything at once, but once you get the hang of it - no harder than every other aspect of flying helis. I didn't find the G2 easier - what would that mean? Does it mean you have wider tolerance on RRPM and IAS than the R44, so you can afford to be distracted?

Just curious. Can't afford either anyway.
Just to clarify, VF wrote B47 in his other thread, I misquoted him and wrote 407, but he was comparing it to the 47. OK, now that that is out of the way...

I have only the 22, 44 and G2 to compare. I've never flown anything else. With the G2 compared to the others, I wouldn't say that "you can afford to be distracted", but, yes, with the much wider band of allowable RRPM, combined with the much greater inertia of the rotor system, I noticed a dramatic difference. To me it was so much easier, the workload was that much lower. And my only full down ever is in the G2 (in Robinsons they are not typically done below the CFI level in the US--it's a risk/reward thing ). The instructor surprised me with an unplanned "Land it" on the last auto. I simply put it on the ground like it still had the power on. It was, surprisingly, that easy. No fuss, no muss. So easy I had the old student doubts about "Did I do that?" So I asked the instructor "Was that all me?" And it was! It's worlds different than an R22 or even an R44 IMHO. Apparently up there with the best there is, the B47 (not that I would know about that myself).