PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 14:40
Danny42C

megan (#11612),

Thanks ! What can I say ? Trained in the States (Arnold Scheme), in contact with Americans most of the War, and on PPRuNe for the last five years - and this is the first I've heard of Bob Hoover ! Reading all the references you gave, I was increasingly stupefied by this chap's flying story. What a man ! We shall not see his like again. .... RIP, Bob.

The Vengeance incident was with the French in Oran - Agadir (?), therefore a Mk.IV (US A-35). But the Vengeance illustrated is a 12 (?) Sqn RAAF Mk.I or II (US A-31). These were the only Marks which saw action in WWII with the RAF, IAF and RAAF. I have no experience on or knowledge of the IV (A-35), but it differed externally only in the substitution of a single 0.50 rear Browning for the other Marks' twin 0.303s (and the wing AoI set at +4° instead of the zero on all earlier Marks - the zero shows up well on NH-L - although it it is hard to be sure from photographs).

As they all looked alike, the RAF called them all Vengeances, which has led to some confusion. For example, "Winkle" Brown tested both the Stuka and the VV, concluding that the former was more stable in a vertical dive (which only the VV was designed for). Explanation ? (suggested by Chugalug): He was almost certainly given a MK.IV to test: the increased AoI would be likely to make it a better aircraft, but a worse dive bomber. In fact, all Mks I-III dived beautifully - but were useless for anything else. It is possible that the fuel system was changed in the Mk.IV: I have never heard the like of an engine fire such as that described. Can anyone suggest an explanation ?

Ian B-B (#11611),

I know that Peter C. Smith's new (2nd) edition of his 1986 "Vengeance!" is on the stocks (or has it already been published ?) as we have corresponded about it. But it is hard to see what else there is to say now about this forgotten relic of WWII.

Cheers and renewed thanks, both, Danny.