PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde Crews to Strike
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2003, 17:56
Gaza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TwoTun - I respect your right to keep the offer made by BA private but reading between the lines I suspect you and your colleagues are being offered more than the legal minimum. True?

You say :-
it is fair to say that what we want is the same that was offered to the 747 Classic Flight Engineers in BA a couple of years ago, which we were not allowed to take because we were needed for Concorde until (as was thought at the time) at least 2007.
I don't see how BA are under any obligation to give you the same deal made to a different fleet two years ago. You weren't able to take the deal two years ago because your fleet was still flying.

Companies make different deals depending on circumstances. When I was made redundant my package was less lucrative than those made redundant 6 months earlier. By the same token those made redundant recently received a lesser package than I did. Should I have got the same package as those made redundant 6 months earlier? Should those made redundant recently have received the same as me or the same as those made redundant before me? In an ideal world we would get huge pay-offs or pension top-ups and be able to retire to our villa in Spain. However, this is a business world, not an ideal world.

I would suggest you and your colleagues think very carefully about your position. If you do go on strike and spoil Concordes swansong, don't be surprised if BA pull the offer on the table and give you the legal minimum. If they did this there is little, if anything, you can do about it. Any support from your colleagues could only be moral, as any industrial action on their part would be considered secondary action and therefore illegal.

By all means keep negociating. But in the words of the song "Know when to hold them. Know when to fold them."