PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Boeing can’t speak proper.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 09:35
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HSPOV L: I empathise.

"Simple English" Hm? My QRH to hand is 2013, so I apologise if this has been changed in recent years. Firstly, I had many comments on the text of QRH after during years of giving TR courses to a wide spectrum of cadets & primary language. I watched their confusion and errors caused by some uncertainties that I briefed them on them in advance. As has been said, it is very difficult to make comments direct to Boeing. The appropriate 'tech pilot' who did have access was not overly interested.

One common mistake was during 'One Engine Inoperative Landing' B738.
#2 Set VREF 15 or VREF ICE.
NOTE:........

#3.............

50% of cadets did not set VREF of any type. Why? Because the text was not in the usual format. Suggestion.

#2 VREF 15 or VREF 15 ICE........................SET
NOTE:................

This is how all other actions are commanded. It works, it is simple, but here was a scenario where the text format caused it not to work.

There are others where simple text is not the case, especially in the NOTES. Using a QRH is not the time to wonder, "I know what I'm reading, but is it what they meant.?" There was a huge improvement many years ago. The concept was good, but sometimes I have wondered if the lawyers took over from the pilots, as wordsmiths.

Back to the Fire Handle/Switch and pilots struggling with the mouth music under stress. For me it's important to 'do' the correct thing. Is it really a negative point to use the wrong word? Doing nothing while you flounder with your memory of Recall Items is more negative. Similarly on takeoff/GA "is it positive rate or positive climb?" No idea, but put the gear up FGS.