PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 20:30
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have wanted more attention paid to the powerlines in the day. If the poles are at sixty feet, how high were the lines? (Sag). This is important, it bears directly on the fligh path and impact orientation....

For obvious reasons, a departure turn can't be initiated until deemed safe, or by rule (noise abatement). Was there "maintain Runway heading to "x feet" then make right turn to _____?" From the video, the turn was early, very. Even if well known to the crew, ATC would be required to command the proper procedure. I would have been alerted to a problem before the non responsive left inputs, due to lack of climb rate? Unfamiliar with Electra, but wouldn't right rudder have accompanied right aileron? Any tendency to skid would have been noticed immediately, and the unfamiliar (Un-co-ordinated inputs) controls would also have been an alert (sluggish response in roll "correction?")

From the photographic evidence, the displaced second impact argues strongly against extreme bank angle. Simply balancing the (reported) ballistic calcs would be fatal to the ninety degree value postulate, IMO.

What persuades you to suggest pilot input Nose Down? If no extreme roll, no pre Stall buffet? Hence no need for nose down. I am intrigued by the "shaking control column". How do we know this?

I am aware that if the aircraft did not experience extreme right bank, and the impact is the tip of the right wing, we are obligated to entertain a wing already broken?