PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPAS 2017 news
Thread: NPAS 2017 news
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 16:03
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What really brasses me off, is that what has happened is EXACTLY what i predicted back in 2010 and 2011 and what got me into so much trouble for saying it! It didn't take a "brain of Britain" to work out that by reducing the bases and number of aircraft by over a third you were going to end up with a serious drop in operational efficiency. The remaining aircraft have greater distances to fly and as a result take longer to get there. Our rule of "If it it takes longer than 15 minutes to get there (From the start of the incident) then don't bother you will be too late!" That rule went out of the window! In addition fairly local crews knew their territory and often who they were looking for. All of that thrown away. No wonder the guys on the ground stopped asking for air support!
By 2008 Air support in this Country led the world! 6 years later with NPAS in control we were dead in the water! Yes there are still some very good units, but I would submit that they are good because they are the ones still located close to their main centres of demand.
A very sad story, But it is not down to the units on the front line, its down to the Bean Counters that drove the formation of NPAS as soley driven by money saving. The concept that a National Force using the existing fleet and bases could actually improve operational effectiveness never ever came into it. It was only ever about saving money not doing Police work!

TF Yes I'm still here even if very wrinkly these days!