PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cool brakes with water ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 11:41
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
@ TransitCheck, how very condescending.

When landing on a wet runway, the brakes will gradually heat up while gradually being cooled by spray - if any reaches the brake packs that is.

That is different to landing, possibly on a hot dry day, taking the first high speed exit, (to save time), taxiing in perhaps on a long taxi route and then after a few minutes on stand when the brakes are very hot, suddenly pouring lots of water on them.

Quenching, i.e. very rapid cooling from a very hot state in a tank of water as used by blacksmiths, alters the structure of the metal they are working. Perhaps carbon brakes are not adversely affected by ‘quenching’, but I would not want to take the risk.

I have not seen this brake cooling "procedure” written anywhere in the A320, A321, or A330 manuals I have read. Perhaps it is allowable and is detailed in the engineer’s manuals, but it sounds very risky to me. Firemen have detailed procedures for dealing with brake fires safely because of the risk of flying debris. You won’t catch me doing it on a routine turnaround, even with training and protective gear.

Last edited by Uplinker; 2nd Dec 2017 at 11:52.