PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thunderbird One fired...
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2017, 20:35
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

No problem, Guy.

The boss must make it clear to the nugget what to do when sh!t happens. The boss must also make it clear that there is no stigma about a WX divert, especially after one stab at the field and severe conditions.

My problem with the nugget has to do with the unconventional approach and not going around after 3,000 feet of runsway has gone by and no barrier at the other end.

I took one ( barrier) as a newbie in the Sluf after missing the BAK-12 or whatever and had to come to a halt using the doofer on the overrun that pulled out ship chains. Prolly could have stopped on the overrun, but hook was already down and had skipped the new, fancy gizmo. Rainy night and long, fast landing and anti-skid did what it was supposed to. I screwed up and the Sluf was not easy to accelerate for a go around. I only had 40 or 50 hours, and none in poor weather.

If the bioss at Nellis thinks a change is needed, then this is the best time now that the season is over. Hell, the guy may have been ready to rotate anyway.

I feel most of us here understand "get-home-itis" and such. And being a member of an elite group does not help to reduce pressure. But fer chrissakes, go someplace else and come back when things calm down. And don't invent an approach procedure you haven't practiced.

Gums opines...