PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London city airport
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2001, 14:59
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

... not to mention light aircraft doing scenics down the Thames, news/traffic/police/medevac helicopters buzzing around, and the odd stray balloon... ... and then there is the Biggin traffic...

Going north, we often get worried about Luton, especially if (as often seems to happen) the London controller has forgotten that we are still at 3000 feet, heading straight for the LLA ILS. Just as the hands start getting moist, you get the call... "Ah, JY768 climb immediately to 6000 feet with your best rate!! Expedite!!!"

Either that, or we are higher but one of the Easy 737s has screwed up the SID and hasn't levelled off...

Finally, it always worries me that we get sent to Lambourne (ie Stapleford), which almost guarantees a TA or two; or, whilst getting the scenic tour of Kent and Essex, we get sent directly overhead Rochester (another guaranteed TA), or sometimes Southend- sorry, Sarf-en'- which ATC call SPEAR just to confuse us. Mind you, still haven't managed to get to the mythical ALKIN...

On the plus side, speed control is usually pretty good. However, I don't think the London controllers appreciate how flexible the 146/RJ is. A typical conversation goes something like this:

"JY768, slow to minimum safe approach... what will that be?"

We can give you 120kts"

"Oh! Right... great! Ah well, in that case, turn right, close from the right call established!!"

Don't suppose any of you ATCOs can explain why it is we get put on a heading at, say, 2000 feet seconds after departure, and not released on "own nav" until somewhere north of the Pole??? Don't you trust us???

I LOVE the City approach, still amongst the best fun you can have in UK airspace...