PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condition for Vortex Ring
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2017, 09:31
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I could not agree more, but we have also to think about the common student pilot who does not have (yet) the background needed to understand the fine differences.
We as FIs can not prepare them for every possible situation they will find themselves in. We provide them with a limited set of tools to manage the most common types of problems.

We use tons of "Lies to children" in the teaching process, just not to overwhelm the learner. For example: Everybody learns about Bernoulli for their PPL, but this is just part of the equation. But do we want student pilots to solve the Navier-Stokes-Equations?
Hell, no! Just conservation of momentum, mass and energy will be too much for many, FI's included.
While we all agree that VRS is the right word and SWP should be used in another context, reality is unfortunately different. During the teaching process we can use one tool to get out of both of it. In both cases reaching ETL will solve the problem. If we now use Vuichard (we have thread for that, don't start it, it is just the example closest to it) in on situation where you have enough space to the side to use it and forward stick in a case if not and forward stick in a not enough power situation but only if ... - you probably get my point by now - we probably do more harm then good. Too many "if's" are bad.

While I absolutely love the banter here and chip in whenever I can, the really fruitless discussion about who uses the right words does not provide any insight for the newbie. I see no harm in using both terms, as long as everybody knows what we are talking about.

Or we just should set SWP on the list of forbidden words. That's a thought.