PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condition for Vortex Ring
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2017, 06:16
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Shy,
the results of a search depends of a lot of things, search engine, localisation, cockies, browsing history and many more. My search results are certainly different than yours and I can not find anything useful on the CAA site.

Robbo Jock,
the link is dead for me (server not available) and points to an eurocontrol site for registered users. That would not be the UK CAA then.

Fijodor: Sensitive? Not at all. I think it is funny. I just find the wording amazing, as if the author was really annoyed with the rest of world not understanding the difference between VRS and SWP. But I believe, that this is inappropriate for a training manual. Just imagine a class where one student came from the US and uses SWP. For the rest of the class he would be the uninformed one. That's counter-productive in a training environment.

Here they call it VRS with a hint that SWP is a synonym. That's what EASA land does. But if you haven't realised by now, I am FAA trained. I am one of the "uniformed" ones, but do understand the difference between VRS and SWP as the Canadians use it. I just don't think that insisting stubbornly on one definition is constructive, when the rest of world sees it (due to practical reasons, not logic) as a synonym. And I believe, this is also the FAA's view.

What it boils down to is, that everybody understand the term VRS, no problem there (even the uninformed ones, after all it is in the FAA training manual). What all the fuss is about is, that SWP is either used as the "not enough power left" or as a synonym for VRS. Apart from the Canadians, it looks like no aviation authority uses SWP other than as the synonym. Therefore no official training manual will contain it. To the big dismay of the Canadians and some Brits, this will result in a lot of young pilots trained as half uninformed ones (half wits if you want). Does it matter? I don't think so, as long as they know, what is going on, how to avoid it and how to get out.

I personally find the thread highly entertaining. It started on how to get into SWP/VRS and instead of being an aerodynamic or power availability discussion, we can't even agree on the terms to use. Nick Lappos tried it years ago, suggesting that we on PPRuNe just agree on one term - VRS preferably - and move on. Well ...