PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So What does PPR Really Mean ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2003, 15:00
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I too fly from a PPR strip. It means basically, we want to have personally told you the rules at the strip and - if you'd been kind enough to phone a couple of days in advance - had the chance to send you the "avoids" briefing sheet. In all likelihood, once you've been once you'll be privately told to come back any time and no need to call. But we, the club who have put a lot of work into getting the permissions we have, want to make that decision. I don't think that we're unusual in that.

But, I don't think it gets airfield operators off the hook from providing adequate information in Pooleys, AIP, etc - there are such things as safety diversions, even into non-radio airfields. Also, it provides no excuse for pilots - PPR means PPR unless you've been clearly been told otherwise by somebody with the authority to do so (like our strip's PPR secretary).

G

N.B. What does really annoy us is a couple of microlight schools whose QFIs regularly send their students in without PPR or a proper briefing. A solo pilot came in once, flew straight through the biggest noise-avoid, flew a totally incorrect circuit, then got treated to a very public bollocking by yours truly - only later did I discover he was on his QXC - but what can his instructor expect under the circumstances!