PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 20:30
blindfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite a few from my days...

This one's not RAFG, but I was on 19 Sqn RAF Regt (Rapier) at Upper Heyford when they bombed Libya. We were at end of runway when the F1-11s took off, what a noise they made, right impressive. The whole station was on lockdown with all the weirdo protesters outside, soon after this I got posted to Wildenrath on 16 Sqn RAF Regt.

Sometimes we had to deploy our kit at end of runway during daytime to test them etc, you'd see, then hear 2 x F4s coming at you and then take off, and I'm sure they stayed as low as possible screaming over us. We used to give them the finger, but it was an impressive roar.

Another we had was ex Iron Hammer in Nov 88, I'm not sure if anyone else on camp was involved, but we were out in the fields around Wilders for two of the coldest weeks I ever experienced in my life, snow, then temp plummeted to -13 before wind chill. We thought we were in Russia and all gonna die of cold.

1989, we had a call out, about 4am, what joy.
We then had to go to armoury and get warshot, normally we just loaded drill missiles on ex.
Then we were sent to a war site -- now you have to realise we were never deployed to war sites due to it would be compromised etc.
Next we were told to load warshot and attach firing lines, we were like, wtf, have the russkies invaded??.
All this of course, was communicated in BATCO on the radio.
A few blokes, myself included, were going, I don't believe this ****, we're going to war etc etc.
Then finally a land rover came round with junior rock officer telling us it was a mistake etc, to to unload and RTU.
Someone made a major mistake there, but I suppose back then nothing was advertised, so it was a bit of a laugh in the end.