PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condition for Vortex Ring
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 20:01
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
96S, it's because most helicopter pilots are pedantic morons who love to argue over the stupidest of things. Get two helicopter pilots together in a room, and (if you're not one of them) you might come away not knowing exactly *what* colour the sky is - because the other two will argue about it interminably. Ho-lee crap.

"It's cyan!"
"It's azure!"

It's friggin' BLUE, boys.

As I've said...as I've always said...these issues with descending vertically into your own downwash only happen down low at the bottom of a f'ed-up approach. It probably won't matter what technique you use to get out of it, but if you've waited too long to figure it out then it's not going to matter and you're probably going to crash the ship.

The stupidest of the stupid are the ones who claim that you can, in your heavy helicopter, make a fast approach, do a big flare at the bottom, then fall through and hit the ground hard and then call it SWP. Oh. My. God. But yet there they are.

There is an infamous video of a U.S. Navy CH-46 doing a very shallow, very fast approach to the aft landing pad of some helicopter carrier/boat/ship. The pilot misjudges things a bit and gets one wheel stuck in the fencing just short of the deck. The helicopter stops, but the ship keeps moving forward. Guess what? Before you know it, over she goes! Backwards into the water. And somebody in this very thread called it a "settling with power" accident.

Yeah. Uh-huh. Right.

You, 96S will find, as you go through your career, that some people who claim to know a lot about how helicopters fly really do not. They'll quote you textbook upon textbook as proof. (There are even those who claim that the advancing blade of a rotor in forward flight flaps *up*! Amazing. But that's a different subject.) Everybody is an expert on the internet! Am I? Pfft, hell no. But I do know not to come in vertically (or even below ETL). On a no-wind day. In a heavy helicopter.