PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to design a new wing (apols if OT)
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 16:39
Downwind Lander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
As a generator of low speed lift, or as a generator of lift for low structural mass, it's extremely efficient. Ditto achieving a functional wing for very few parts.

If I understand you correctly - you basically want to reduce profile drag? That means the short of exercise Bill Brooks did when he created the PulsR, *or* incorporate the basic wing structure into a conventionally controlled aeroplane - a bit like the Verhees Delta?

If you can do that, and retain the foldability for transport and storage of a current Rogallo wing, you might do something quite worthwhile.

G
Let me put it this way.

If you compare the power requirements and the cruising speeds of Rogallo wing a/c and the Long EZ, there is a big discrepancy.

If you take a good look at these two, it seems obvious why - but because it "seems obvious", it doesn't follow that the conclusion is correct.

Protecting myself with the Edward Debono "Po" concept, here is a Po suggestion: rip the wings off a EZ and nail them on a microlight - quickly glossing over the fact that there are control surface issues, with a few tweaks, how much better/worse would it do?