PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condition for Vortex Ring
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 16:38
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
So far only Canada and the US has something to say on VRS/SWP
This is a very entertaining thread. It's a subject that just goes on giving... just when you think Pprune is getting boring, someone says the magic words "Vortex Ring" and off we go again. It's nearly as good as A vs B on the airline forums.

But seriously... why do people get so het up about the finer distinctions? As a low time heli pilot (but I think I'd feel exactly the same if I had 10,000 hours) I know what I need to: don't go there. Keep your descent rate low when flying slow, and if you're HOGE and don't have the power to hold altitude, get the h*ll out.

As for true fully developed VRS - why would anyone ever, ever, ever go there? From what I've read here, it sounds truly terrifying, far worse than a FW spin, which does even have its uses. I wonder for every person who writes a tale of "I started at 10,000 feet, and when I recovered I could count the flies on the cows" how many people didn't recover in time and ended up splatted on the ground? For sure I don't want to find out first hand.

So is there more we need to know than Just Don't?

(I know it's different for long line and mountain rescue and such, but that's a whole separate speciality. I guess just easing in a bit of forward cyclic isn't such a great idea if the effect is to knock half a dozen people off the roof of the building with the A/C unit you're supposed to be putting there).