PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia to be privatised ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 14:07
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, having recently flown with both Ryanair in Europe and VOZ in Australia, I have a suggestion to improve the passenger experience and profitability simultaneously. RYR famously cram 189 seats on a B738 with the majority being 30 inch pitch. But those seats are actually brilliant from a passenger perspective. They are ultra-slimline giving the user a sense of extra legroom. And they don't recline ... no chance of crunched knees and a mop of big hair in your face. On my recent VOZ sector BNE-PER config 168 seats at 31 inches plus 8 premium at 38 ins the seat experience was horrific. Technically one inch more than RYR, but the reality is unnecessarily fat cushions, crippled knees, and a recline into your space far exceeding tolerable limits on a 31in pitch. Five hours of that is torture. Maybe I should sue!

But seriously, only closeted airline executives are deluded enough to believe that reclining seats are a good idea. Maybe it's because they always fly premium themselves? Most passengers detest reclining seats with a passion. The torture inflicted on the recline victim far exceeds the incremental 'comfort' enjoyed by the selfish reclinee.

So here is my tip for VOZ. Acknowledge that the much-maligned RYR are the ones who have got it right on this. Copy their seat choice. Ditch recline torture. Make the majority of your pax happier. There will even be space to install an extra seat-row and sell six extra fares per sector. A self-financing improvement. What's not to love?

BTW, kudos to VOZ crews on both my recent sectors. Great service, credit to the company. Only the worst-of-breed seats let VOZ down.