PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 A/T use during approach and G/A.
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 11:38
Mansfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viking,

Speaking as a newly minted 737 guy myself...take a step back from the notion that Boeing recommends fully automatic or fully manual. They have backed off of that considerably. My employer uses a HUD to hand fly CAT III approaches with the A/T engaged.

There is no practical reason to disconnect the A/T when hand flying. Although the purist in me prefers it otherwise, the simple truth is the A/T works quite well and will retard at 27 feet...or it is supposed to, anyway. In the meantime, you can manipulate the throttles as needed, including manually retarding them earlier than 27 feet if the situation warrants.

If you disconnect the A/T via the throttle buttons, you will have to set GA thrust manually. Remember that the first push of the TOGA button will cause an engaged A/T to target whatever thrust is necessary for a sedate 1000-2000 fom go-around. The second push of TOGA gives you max GA thrust. I suspect that the N1 bugs will only display max GA thrust; I can't find any reference otherwise.

For a good discussion of how not to manage a go-around, see the UK AAIB report on G-THOF at Bournemouth on 23 Sept 2007. This was not an NG, so there are some difference, but it is quite an eye-opener.

As always, regardless of what anyone on this Forum says, follow your own operator's SOPs!