PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 03:45
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
I am interested in how he/she thinks PIC should have responded once at Norfolk Island without fuel to divert.
I have been consistent in what I think should have been done, go back over the entire thread.

I don’t think that having flown for Aeromedical or a Westwind makes you anymore qualified to comment on the actions of the PIC being first out.
It makes you more qualified than a lot of the other commentators. BTW their comments were not just about being first out. However on the question of first out he stated that he was certain the F/O was ok. Survival instinct or not you are responsible for your passengers and crew end of story.

The answer to that is clearly spelled out in the report, company ethos and training being but two. If you've not had adequate training you don't know what you don't know, as Rumsfeld famously put it (known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns). If you can't get past laying it all at the PIC's door then you haven't learnt anything.
I have been consistent in stating that there were many reasons why that crew were in that spot at that time. However the actions and responsibilities of the PIC once they arrived at NF were entirely his. In just the same way the Virgin 737 crew at Mildura were entirely responsible for the outcome but not why they were in that situation.

Personally I wouldn't have a clue how to calculate a PNR or CP without getting the books out, not something that had relevance in the flying career I had.
Neither would I but neither would I be blasting into 4 rushed approaches without any thought for my fuel remaining.

Megan and KK, you both failed to answer the question I asked. Would you allow your family to step on board an aircraft with this particular PIC?