PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - tail dragger difficulty?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2017, 16:22
Thud105

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Piperboy, your analysis of why your Male yaws left as the tail comes up is essentially correct, although along with precession there's also P-factor, the spiralling slipstream and other factors in play, along with any X-wind. With the really powerful taildraggers (I've flown a few) the fuselage is trying to be torqued in the opposite direction to the prop's rotation. This can increase the rolling resistance on that side, which also increases the propensity to yaw. Aileron is useful here, but the tendency to yaw is the sum of several things. My comment was that they do not all yaw left when you lift the tail! Quite a few taildraggers (in fact quite a lot!) yaw to the right as the tail comes up, some (a few) don't yaw at all. Fully agree that more rudder is required than with a trike though! PS If you feel I 'publicly flogged you' I apologise -that was not my intent. I just thought I'd point out to the OP that - contrary to the impression I believe your post gave - not every taildragger has an inherent tendency to yaw left.

Last edited by Thud105; 29th Nov 2017 at 16:42. Reason: Crap punctuation!