PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - tail dragger difficulty?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2017, 12:10
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Posters, courtesy in posting is appreciated!

I have experienced "swing" while lifting the tail during takeoff, to the point where rudder application was inadequate to control my path. This effect, however, for most GA planes is much less pronounced. There may also be a torque effect, and that of a crosswind. These effects can combine, or may cancel each other out, depending upon direction. However, the effect of swing when lifting the tail on takeoff is a directional destabilizing effect which is not present on a tricycle aircraft.

The steerable tailwheel may be used to control direction - at speeds slower than 20MPH or so. Faster than that, whether the tailwheel is on the ground or not, the rudder will be the most effective control you'll have with which to steer.

The aileron must always be applied into a crosswind of any strength during takeoff and landing. This should result in the upwind mainwheel leaving the runway last, and contacting first. My experience has been that wheel landings gave me a feeling of greater control during crosswind landings.

If you choose to land three point, it's worth remembering that once the tailwheel is on the runway, you can no longer control the pitch of the aircraft. This is fine, if the aircraft is "down". However, if a bounce, or a gust causes the aircraft to try to fly again, you'll have to either ride it out with the stick back, or lift the tail to regain pitch control, and begin the landing again. If you have wheel landed, with both mainwheels on the runway, you can move the stick slightly forward, to reduce the AoA of the wing, while the aircraft slows, and a bounce is prevented.

The application of brakes without the combined application of lots of up elevator is unwise.