PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Journalists and a cunning new way to land a flying boat
Old 29th Nov 2017, 10:45
yellowtriumph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
The bulk of the BOAC flying boats, both the prewar (Empire) and postwar (Hythe etc) fleets, minus the notable number that were written off along the way, were likewise stored at Hythe after being withdrawn, and finally broken up there.
Thanks to you and DHfan for the further info. I was born and grew up in Southampton so ferry trips to the IOW were quite frequent for holidays etc. I firmly remember seeing two flying boats reasonably close together, dark grey in colour but I can't remember any identifying markings. I do remember that the windows at the front of the aircraft were covered up (pilots windows etc), I presume this was to alleviate the weather conditions.

Nearby were also permanently moored a number of mothballed motor torpedo boats, or what looked like MTB's to a young lad. There were about half a dozen, also completely enclosed within some sort of weather protective structure. Very exciting for a young lad still reading illustrated war comics!