PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Service Medal for Officers
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2017, 07:33
Sloppy Link

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Old-Duffer
As an ex-regular officer with 31 years service, I was quite looking forward to being awarded an LS&GCM to bring me into line with my Halton trained father. However, it quickly became apparent that I would not be eligible due to the actual timing period of my service.

However, any disappointment was quickly overcome when having had my regular service declared ineligible for the LS&GCM, I learned I could count three years of that towards my VR long service award and that nice lady who lives at the bottom of Constitution Hill did the rest.

I must say this latest bit of bling has a certain 'snob appeal' about it and it was much admired by an air force 'big cheese' I met t'other day (who didn't know what it was)!

Old Duffer
Not quite (unless there are different rules between Services). Regular service counts towards the award of the VRSM at half rate to a maximum of five years provided none of that time counts towards another award, in other words 5 years gives 2.5 years credit meaning a further 7.5 years to qualify. A pure reservist needs 9 out of 10 bounty earning years to qualify, I'm not certain how it affects those that are mix 'n match. NRPS and FTRS have some very complicated rules, one I'm aware of (Army) that catches some out is they have to complete Level 3 MATTs to be classed as efficient. The cries of "I'm exempt all that stuff" turns and bites......