PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight School Help - Vancouver Area
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2017, 00:57
emmjayy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight School Help - Vancouver Area

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to start out by saying I have read and searched through many threads on this forum and others with regards to all the different options for flight schools here in Vancouver and surrounding areas. The vast majority of the information I can find is either very conflicting, or quite dated and most likely not too relevant for present day. I am hoping to get some insight from folks on here with some first hand knowledge of the schools in this area. I am trying to decide on a flight school for my PPL, CPL and Multi/IFR training starting hopefully in January or February of 2018. I am located in North Vancouver and have primarily been looking at schools out of Boundary Bay and Pitt Meadows due to their proximity. I plan on doing my training on a full time basis and ideally would like to fly 5-6 days/week (weather permitting).

I have been out to visit both Pacific Flying Club and Professional Flight Center (PRO-IFR) out at Boundary Bay. I had quite a good experience at Pacific when I dropped by. The lady at the front was great with answering all my questions and an instructor who happened to be near by took the time to take me out and show me some of their fleet which I appreciated. There are mixed reviews for this school with many people seeming very happy with all the training they have received there, others have complaints of scheduling issues and having their flights bumped for the BCIT program students which I find a bit troubling.

When I dropped into Professional Flight Center I didn't feel I got quite the same attention and enthusiasm that I received when stopping by Pacific but I did show up unannounced and they seemed quite busy so I don't put a whole ton of stock into that necessarily. Out of all the schools I've researched this one seems to have the most universally positive reviews of the schools in the area which is quite encouraging. Professional also have teamed up with Douglas college so I'm curious if they may have the same scheduling issues as Pacific with regards to getting bumped out of a booked time for a program student.

I have also heard quite good things about Pacific Rim Aviation out at Pitt Meadows although I have not been out to visit them yet. Also depending on what you're reading and who you ask there seems to be no great consensus on which of the two airports is best to train out of. Some say training at Boundary Bay was very beneficial as it gave them invaluable busy airport experience, others say to only consider Pitt Meadows/Langley as they are so much closer to the training area and you are not paying for travel time.

Essentially what I would like to get is some real world knowledge from some recent or current students or instructors who might be able to provide a bit more insight into what school in this area might fit with what I am looking for.

Thanks for your time,

MJ