PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 A/T use during approach and G/A.
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2017, 23:39
_Viking_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B737 A/T use during approach and G/A.

Good evening,

I am in the need for some clarification.
I am curious to know how the SOP's of your respective companies handle a manual approach and go-around on the 737NG or MAX.

Correct me if I'm wrong here:

During an approach, if a manual landing is planned, the PF should disconnect A/P and A/T at the same time. Upon disconnecting the A/T (by pushing the A/T disconnect switch on either thrust lever), the A/T arm switch on the MCP trips to OFF, and automatic thrust is no longer available during the go-around.

If a go-around is required, the PF will therefore need to manually establish go-around attitude and set go-around thrust.

So, my questions are:
1. Should the PF manually establish full go-around thrust (as depicted on N1) or set a reduced go-around thrust, and if so, what is the target N1 for the reduced go-around thrust?

2. Boeing QRH Man. chapter states that the autopilot can be engaged as needed for a manual go-around, but does not say anything about the autothrottle system. As I understand it, the A/T should be manually re-engaged on the MCP during the go-around. At which point should that be done?

3. After pressing TO/GA, the AFDS will engage in the go-around mode. If an A/P is engaged at that time, will the pitch mode stay in GA? And, shouldn't the A/T be armed at that time as well to comply with Boeing recommendation to either be fully automatic or fully manual.

I may be on the wrong path here, but would really appreciate some help regarding this.