PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London city airport
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2001, 19:51
Expedite your backtrack!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raw Data:

We always try to take the boarding problem into account, which is why when we have two a/c landing in sucession we always give the first one the higher stand (eg first on 4, then next to land on 3). This way passengers don't get blocked by an a/c parking on the next stand.

Some times it gets a little tricky. As yesterday, an aircraft calls for start, and is tight on his slot. Regardless of who is wanting to board we start him. Usually when he then calls for taxi (normally only 2-3 minutes later, sometimes up to 10 minutes if its a Xair) we will be able to move him off stand.

We do have to watch that we don't block stands 1,2 and 3 by holding to many a/c at Charlie. There are many ways around this problem, BUT not all controllers are as flexible as they could be!

Any way, quit moaning (grin) I started you 2 minutes into your slot when according to the book I shouldn't have, and got you onto the runway first! Thats City service for you!

Fly4fud:

It was my frequency you were talking on yesterday! Feel free to do this at any time, especially when Raw Data is on a very short final without a landing clearance (grin) see how long you can block the airwaves, and how low he can get before he elects to go-around due to the lack of landing clearance!

Seriously, a few words between pilots (probably about which stocks and shares to invest there huge pay packets in) makes our environment a lot more friendly. Feel free any time to chat, just don't be suprised when you get snapped at by a short temperred controller who has just spent the last 2 hours arguing with flow on the behalf of pilots, and being stiched up by his colleagues at Thames Radar!