PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 27th Nov 2017, 10:08
Frabus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frabus
Hello friends!

I've applied in September 2016.
October 2016 assessment - UNSUCCESSFUL

Do anyone know if Ryanair/CAE uses to give a 2nd chance to cadets?

I kept updating my profile and my CV every month also if my application remained open from the first moment I did it.

Anyone in the same situation was called again?

Thanks!
CAE called me 4 hours later after this message.

Nice coincidence!
That day I also renewed the design of my CV.

However:

10/11/2017 CAE calls without any e-mail. I was at work (working as EMT on ambulances). Some questions about my previous interview, what I thought went wrong and If I consider myself ready to get the job this year. I answered "of course!" so been offered a date ten days later for Monday 20/11/2017; no chance to shift it a bit later for work reason.
Luckily I arranged shifts at work so at to be free from Saturday (18/11 to 21/11).

18/11/2017 Early morning flight from Italy to Ireland. Stayed at Premier Inn which is just 5 mins walk from Ryanair building.
I used this day to read and study again all what I prepared in the previous days (general infos on C172 - C152 - DA42, previous flown aircrafts - general infos on B737NG & B737MAX200 - history of Ryanair - Ryanair current situations as bases, fleet, employees, ... - performance - meteo - agk - general/radio nav - human perf - ....)

19/11/2017 Booked SIM session at Simtech; I went there 1 year before for MCC/JOC course. They are always very kind, nice and well organized.
Went for the SIM from 1800 to 2000.
Briefing at 1700.
Walked out from the session pretty disappointed.
But I considered that normal since it was 1 year since last MCC ops on Jet and also because I was awake from early morning.
So didn't let discouragement to influence me.
Came back to hotel, went out for dinner. Hamburger and back to my room.
Prepared all the paperwork splitting them in two folders:
1 ORIGINAL documents
1 PHOTOCOPIES

20/11/2017
Alarm clock at 0600. Hot shower to warm up my body temperature (from 0400 to 0600 is at its lowest; human factor studies ).
Breakfast. Coffee. Tea. Milk. Nutella. Bread. Fruits. Yogurt
Went back to room, prepared.
0740 Ryanair building: door is closed, RING on the left hand side of the door.
Entered it, some guys were already seated there; however I asked to the reception where should I wait for pilot assessment.
0800 An assessor came to us. He was very nice. Same stuff for all. Briefing of the day. Tips for the SIM session. Asked paperwork. Paired in couples and informed about when every couple assessment would have started.
Given airport plates: Liverpool!
Me and my partner would have been the last to be assessed, after lunch break. So at 1300.
Used all the time to brief brief brief and brief.
Assessor asked to us to do full briefings before the session because when into the sim there is not time to talk talk talk!
1300 Stepped into the SIM. Started as PM on the left hand side. I got the clearance (WAL 2T) and PF set up the aircraft for departure - radio aids, courses, alt on mcp - He, as PF, briefed me actively as:"ok PM, what radio aids and course do we have?" - "What about altitudes (1500agl + 100ft liverpool for climb power / 3000agl + 100ft liverpool for bug up)" - "I can see a threat - right turn for radial interception may correspond to climb power or acceleration altitude so be alert for that" - "Take-off briefing is standard as already done before".
Take-off, full SID. Aerial work right/left turns at 5000ft. Deceleration to 170kts so below minimum clean speed (210kts) - so he as PF briefed me about the need to use Flaps5 to fly that speed.
Questions to PM and PF about "where we are?" - look the ADF back and say the sector where you are and NM from the airport so looking to the DME.
Then cleared for ILS rwy 27 via vectoring. Freezed the sim.
PF set up all for the approach and again briefed me actively!! (as SID)
PF briefed me about deceleration - WHEN / WHERE / HOW - we were already with Flaps5 at 170kts from deceleration exercise so he just told me that 2nm before final descent (at D8.0 DME stable on LOC) Gear down Flaps15 speed 150kts and 0.5nm before (at D6.5 DME stable on LOC) Flaps30 speed Vref and that in case of missed approach call would have been "GO AROUND FLAPS 15 to 3000ft"
We flew the approach without any failure or problem, full stop landing and stop.

When me as PF the same!! PRECISELY THE SAME but when sim was frozen for approach briefing the assessor came with a news: passenger probably having an heart attack.
Told him to "standby, we are gonna land, come back to cabin and assist the pax waiting for me to call you back" - since we were close to the NDB I decided to act as if the sim was unfrozen and so doing a very quick DODAR since in reality we would have been just 5 minutes from landing.

But the assessor wanted us to do full DODAR - so we did it!
Diagnosed the situation. Opted to come back to liverpool asking vectors for the ILS rwy 27. Decided that the situation was a PAN PAN not a MAY DAY - (heart attack isn't a cardiac arrest so it's urgent but not an emergency) - Assigned that PM would have launched that PAN PAN call and asked for paramedics once on ground and that I would have flown the aircraft -Reviewed all.

Called Number 1 to the cockpit for NITS. Done NITS we proceeded as agreed but flew full procedure as radar service was unserviceable.
Flying the aircraft I wished to inform my PM about my intentions:"Reaching D8.6 I'll want you to set interception heading of 230° if you agree. Do you think is a good one? I'll then want you to ask for LOC and GS alive. At D8.0 ...etc.etc"

Landed and bye bye.

I went for the interview as last one.
Talked to the HR guy about my previous assessment, what I thought went wrong.
What's going on in my Flight School, if they have many students. If I'm still in touch with my previous sim partner. About my current job situation and when I could start the TR and how I've planned to finance it.

Tech interview begun with personal questions. What's my job, If I've ever had emergencies: of course yes as working for the emergency medical service.
How many hours I have and which aircraft I used for my CPL: DA42.

Max crosswind of DA42: 20kts
Crosswind calculation: clock method - 30° out from the runway so half the intensity
Cruise speed of DA42: 110-120kts
So in how much time will I fly 40nm: 20 mins - how did you calculate it?
If in 1 hour I'll roughly fly 110 kts it means 60nm in 30 mins so close to 20 mins for 40 nm!
Questions about B737. How are flight controls operated. Hyd sys (A/B/STBY). How high light devices are operated. I don't know if my answer was fully right but I think that they don't want you to give a 100% accurate answer but just that you showed interest in knowing some general stuff about the B737.
Absolute ceiling.

OK BYE BYE!

24/11/2017 Positive e-mail

05/02/2018 Starting the course

TIPS: 50% of the success is made by your ATTITUDE. Act as a captain! If you make a mistake leave it back and don't allow it to influence your performance.

Last edited by Frabus; 29th Nov 2017 at 12:58.