PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather CAMS - CASA has no interest?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2017, 06:42
sdielectrical

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think djpil has it.

The people that know what the best view is would be the locals. Every location is different and it also depends on the available vantage points where you can setup a camera easily and not have it obscured by a structure on the ground or even very close rising terrain. It also depends on the ease of plugging into a power source and having an internet connection.

It doesn't matter on which direction. It matter on the ability of the picture to convey the conditions. The cameras have a wide field of view. The ones on the Skycam network have a 70 degree field of view.

There is other useful information you can get from these cameras that helps locals. I flew into Warnervale the other day and was able to see I would get a park on the grass no problem. It's nice to see a few planes in the pictures and this will mean something to a local. You can see if a plane has arrived back or maybe if a car is parked there. This is additional to the main purpose of course.

A good picture should have at least half the image with the sky in it, have the camera level with the horizon so it shows true on the image and also show rising terrain that can be used to judge cloud heights against. It should be labelled which direction it is of course. Having a windsock in the image is a bonus, but even better if you can have some weather data on the image.