PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condition for Vortex Ring
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2017, 03:19
r22butters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
You need to understand that the terminology "power settling" and "settling with power" was used in the US Army about before you knew how to hover. Before I did, for sure, and a hell of a lot of people were brought up with that phrasing as the basic distinction between to different problems that can make you fall.

What was then called Power settling is what I would now call "Power Required Exceeds Power Available" (Sadly, PREPA has not yet caught on as the acronym of choice).
Settling with Power was phrased that way since your condition was similar but different, and lethally so: "you have power" (so the above isn't the problem) but you are still settling/falling. (We now call that condition VRS here in the States in most places I've been).
Your crap about "college drop out" only shows your ignorance.
I was taught the above in flight school (and yeah, it was easy to confuse the two terms) in the early 80's, but one of the things going on in the profession as people trying to make more sense of what "settling with power" is. In the USN, as I recall, the collective wisdom began to call it Vortex Ring State in the late 80's/early 90's. Not sure what the Army's teaching anymore, but in the Navy VRS had displaced "settling with power" to describe that problem in low speed flight ... because it can cause a crash if you don't know what your aircraft is doing and what you need to do about it.

There are a variety of other discussions on this topic here at PPRuNe that I suggest you read. For one reason or another, wind up artists like TC and some others try to make a big production out of an archaic bit of terminology from the past. Nick Lappos made . There isn't actually a concrete standard phrasing, and more's the pity. Read that thread: there are some very good points for learning in that thread from a few people who understand that rotary wing problem.

Current teaching regarding VRS calls it VRS.

I am about tired of the so called professionals continually engaging in this pissing contest about VRS versus the problem of running out of Nr when power available has topped out, and who calls it what.

My suggestion: grow up, or shut up.
So sick of people telling me what they learned back in the day! You know when I was in college Pluto was still the ninth planet and the very edge of our system, now there's a whole lot more out there and its been demoted to dwarf planet! Times change, get used to it!

What you would call PREPA I would call FTS, full throttle stupid, whoopie we both have our own ideas and acronyms no one care about!

As for "settling with power", I'm with the Helicopter Flying Handbook's glossery, "see vortex ring state"!

Now as much fun as its been arguing with you internet know-it-alls, vacation's over and its time to get back to the real world, so enjoy thinking you're right and the textbook is wrong, 'cause in the end no one really cares!

I have experienced the vortex ring state in the real world and afterwards the guy next to me said, "good job with that settling with power recovery"! So, what do ya know, I'm not the only one who belives the textbook!

Butters has left the building!