PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! Moving to USA
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2017, 01:51
TowerDog

SkyGod

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by havick
Those other carriers you mentioned earlier are good options but a lot of them have DoD contracts which requires a security clearance, you can only get a security clearance with citizenship.

I would goto Kalitta tomorrow being that I live within an hour drive from JFK however they require citizenship. By then time my citizenship comes through in approx 18-24 months from now I will probably be close to flowing to AA.
True enough.
I got my my citizen ship in 1995 because it was “recommended”. (Spook speak for required)
I still flew the Desert Shield Ops for the DOD for Evergreen on a green card, even got security briefings from the US Army intelligence. My country of citizenship was a NATO member and my background check came in clean.
Not a big risk to have me fly FO to Dhahran while Saddam was shooting scuds up our areses.
Maybe different now but don’t turn yourself down. Apply anyway.

As for the college degree:
Before 1978 the airlines required no degree. Instead they gave you an IQ Test.
The IQ tests were outlawed about that time, discrimination.
Then the airlines went looking for college graduates, as an average college graduate had a higher IQ than a non graduate.
Problem solved, but for pilots who spent more time flying than going to school it became a problem: the politically correct recruiting departments had to check that box.
( Chuck Yeager did not have a college degree and he did just fine.)

Some of us got a away with no degree, your mileage may vary.