PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF Pilot Retention Rates & Bonuses
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2017, 23:19
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

No offense to the "heavy" crews, Okie. There is a "mindset" issue to be sure, but in my career it was the fighter pilot that needed the "help". They call it crew resource management nowadays ( CRM). I flew a "crew" jet for two years, 400 hours in the VooDoo interceptor. After that it was single seat for another 3000 hours.

My "heavy" friends could be determined soon after starting pilot training. A few had actual "touch" or "feel" problems. In other words, my roomie had problems just trimming the plane and nailing approach speed within 2 knots. I was blessed to have a "natural" feel. That meant I could look around, make radio calls, navigate and so forth. My roomie went to buffs, but after a few years got a chopper assignment in 'nam, so his "feel" got better.

I am not an elitist, but I feel that we are not all born equal and have equal flying skills WRT "hands". The CRM issue is real, and I appreciate it. So we fighter pilots have it easy. Fly the jet, hit the tgt or other jet, navigate and come back. So back when the earth was still cooling our IP's actually had an input to our assignment. They called it "fighter qualified" or some such. Ten years later we had the "equal opportunity" movement and it didn't work. Not only piss poor fighter pilots that could not multi-task, but I counseled a tanker guy that graduated number one but they gave him a KC-135 and he wanted out. Good ending to that story ( upon request).

It ain't the money!!!!!!

The "Dear Boss" letters have been around since the 70's. And none have mentioned $$$$$.

My feeling is our country is trying too hard to "help" other folks and there is no end in sight nor clear results. Oh well.....

Gums sends...