PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentinean Submarine down - USN rescue team mobilised
Old 26th Nov 2017, 22:35
Marcantilan

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Navaleye
I can tell you that the SST-4 had nothing to do with the sinking of ARA San Juan. In 1982 the MoD tried to obtain data on its capabilities from its manufactures in Germany. They politely declined. More later.

When ARA Santa Fe was damaged in South Georgia and before it was subsequently scuttled a number of its SST-4 fish were unshipped and sent to the UK for evaluation. The results made the Mk24 Tigerfish look good.

When Argentina bought its three subs in the late 70s, the SST-4 was part of the deal.
Hello Navaleye!

I think Telefunken gave some info to the RN back in 1982. I have certain docs about it.

The SST-4 torpedoes were introduced in the Argentine Navy in 1974, being its first users the two IKL-209/1200 (ARA San Luis and ARA Salta, the latter still "operative").

ARA Santa Fe (ex USS Catfish - modernized to Guppy II standards) was not armed with SST-4 (nor its tubes allowed a swim out torpedo like SST-4). It had a mixed load of Mk.14 and Mk.37 mod. 3 torpedoes.

Back to ARA San Juan, according to the Navy it had a load of training torpedoes (no warhead).

Regards!