PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyrocopter to Helicopter Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2017, 20:21
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hallo X Toni,

This forum will prove a mine of information for you and generally you'll receive some sound advice on the various types.

I'm a 6000 hour man on the Enstrom series, (coming up to 20k overall) so while you are researching the market, take a good look at the various Enstrom models available. As you are quite properly considering helicopter safely you'll be interested to know that the Enstrom is unique in that there has never been a fatal accident in the UK in 49 years ... an astonishing record. Other items you raised. The Enstrom can be flown 'hands & feet off' for quite long periods due to its electric trim system attached to the cyclic. Another unique feature is the type has a 7 cu feet/65lbs weight dedicated luggage locker. Running costs are a whisker more than the Schweizer 300 and perhaps 30% more than the ubiquitous R22. To get your likely operating costs, just look up what the respective schools are charging. Autorotation is easily the best in the piston market. The 'lower lever' time following a power failure is known as the 'TK Period' In the Enstrom 29/280 Shark series, the figure is 2.3 seconds from 332 rrpm. Other items. Typical cruise speed at 80% power is around 100mph, fuel burn at that setting is 85 lbs per hour, (the type holds 240 lbs) Rate of climb on the C model is a whisker under 1200 fpm. (the more powerful FX is 1425 fpm) Handling on the type is outstanding and factory support and parts supply are superb. Those are the good features. Sadly there are very few type experienced engineers in the UK. If you need more details on that aspect, just PM me. Hope this helps your search, but in the UK the Enstrom type is not the most popular helicopter. The way round that is to talk to an owner who has flown the type for several years. PS. I could teach you to fly. Go careful and enjoy our world of rotary flying. Dennis Kenyon.