PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyrocopter to Helicopter Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2017, 13:51
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m licensed on fixed wing, helicopter and autogyro; all obtained in that order. The fun factor order is slightly different though; helicopter, autogyro then fixed wing. All I’ll say going autogyro to helicopter, is that you really need to keep an eye on that rotor rpm in autorotation - particularly in an R22. I disagree with the comments about private ownership and the Cabri saving you money compared to an R22 in the long run. You can buy a freshly overhauled R22 and do a full overhaul 12 years later, and still only be at the initial purchase price of a G2. Also the R22 insurance will be about two thirds of the cost of the Cabri for a private owner due to the difference in hull value, reducing each year with the depreciating R22 hull. Couple the insurance saving with the lower initial hull cost and add the overhaul costs; I reckon you get to about 18 years before the Cabri perhaps starts to overtake the R22 (although I haven’t added any maintenance costs of a G2 over that time period. I’m guessing the engine would still require an overhaul).

I can’t argue against the G2 in other areas though. Safety, technology, looks and autorotation capability are all considerably better.