PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentinean Submarine down - USN rescue team mobilised
Old 26th Nov 2017, 13:49
Obi Wan Russell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the missing Argentine Submarine, it's something that hits home for me, as my older brother was a submariner in the RN back in the 80s and 90s (serving aboard both HMS Sovreign and HMS Swiftsure). He'd be out on patrol for three months at a time with no communication, and when he came home we'd get no prior notice of that either. The sub would return to Guz (Devonport), he and a few shipmates would pile into a single car and drive non stop to our house in the North East (about 500 miles) where they would all dump their laundry for my mum to clean whilst they drank the local pub dry, and finally all collapse unconscious for a day on the floor of our living room. They'd stay for a couple of days before dispersing to their own homes and a few weeks later would all pile back in to the same old car and steam it back to the Base. It took him a day or two to mentally 'decompress' after the relentless routine of life aboard a sub, it's not cushy by any stretch of the imagination. He loved the service life though, and signed up for a full 22 years stint. Sadly a back injury whilst training for the Devonport team for 'Field Gun' put an end to his Naval career. I have no doubt if he had stayed in the Navy he would be a Fleet Chief Petty Officer by now, he was already rising rapidly through the ranks.

So I have every sympathy for the families of those missing aboard the Argentine Sub. When they leave for the sea, you hear nothing until either they turn up on your doorstep, or an officer in full dress uniform does. In the worst of all cases a journalist turns up to break the news. Sailors are Sailors no matter what country they serve, and their families share a common bond.