PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2017, 13:40
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Communities all over the U.S. are passing local drone laws. They are all illegal. Only the FAA has jurisdiction over UAVs. In fact, the FAA's regulatory powers were diminished in September in a law suit brought by an attorney in Massachusetts. A federal judge ruled that noncommercial UAVs below the threshold weight need not be registered with the FAA, nor can the FAA charge a fee. The operational rules stand, though: noncommercial UAVs cannot be operated above 400 feet, agl, and not within 5 miles of an airport unless the airport authority gives permission.

In my local community in California the city counsel has passed a more restrictive code, which is unenforceable. One of the city's restrictions is a UAV cannot be operated within 500 feet horizontally of city-designated public buildings. I recently asked for the list of these buildings and am being stonewalled. Probably because the city manager failed to make any such designations.

My wife was shopping at the local WalMart yesterday. She said there were boxes and boxes of the "GPS Shadow Drone" on sale for $99.60. The new year should be interesting around here. We don't have enough local law enforcement to enforce the traffic laws, much less chase down errant drones.