PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London city airport
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2001, 16:43
Raw Data

Pointer,

OK, didn't know about the designation. The reasons I said the fuselage is different are:

Different windows
Different door type and location
No cargo area at the front

Plus of course the British CAA require a separate type rating for it, as they feel it is too different to the F27 to be covered by a "differences" course.

Yes, many 146 drivers do fly very slowly around LCY. Perhaps it comes down to company policy. Our original brief for LCY called for slowing down to 140 kts a long way out, but that simply isn't very practical. Of course, sometimes everybody is being slowed dowm for congestion- I have been slowed to 220 kts while still 70 miles out, then brought back to 160 kts when 40 miles out due traffic. We usually end up getting slowed down by Dornier 328s when there isn't much other traffic.

We don't always maintain high speeds to finals, we are normally back a bit from that. However, we can keep the speed up if asked to. Some pilots are more comfortable with it than others, too.

Also, some pilots only fly there occasionally, and they (quite rightly) tend to be very cautious. I do it every day, so I know exactly what I can achieve there. I guess my favourite LCY experience is a visual approach on 10. We call that the Buckingham Palace 1A approach.

The 146 is definitely fun, I'll guarantee you that!

Who do I work for? Well, who uses most of the stands at busy times??

See you in LCY!