PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's happy?
Thread: Who's happy?
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2017, 07:14
Jcmcgoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to work almost once a week which is mostly westerly and entails generally one night away in Caribbean or US city. Factor in return red eye and a day dealing with night shift tiredness then 3-4 days off.

I've worked in the low cost sector, and note the happiness from the orange segment of this segment of our industry, which goes to prove happiness comes in many forms.

My own version of happiness is based on the amount of time I spend at home and with family, the "reasonable" job security, a management team although constrained and directed by the low cost segment, and certainly not free from criticism, to ensure balance, do retain reasonable people skills and understanding. it is a different management style than the one I experienced in the low cost sector.

In addition the training team are capable, my colleagues are on the whole experienced, hence its a safe operation, and they are on the whole great company, plus the odd day on the beach at Barbados sipping the occasional rum punch isn't exactly a chore. (I do accept some would prefer to be in their own bed than taking a sundowner in Bridgetown)

It's a bit of a subjective question to be fair, as experience levels, involvement at various airlines, the ability to be consumed by an employers own company propaganda, and obvious life requirements differ for person to person. My kids have now left home. I'm financially in a reasonable position. I've experience on a number of aircraft types across several airlines. My view on happiness is viewed with depth and related to my current position in life. I'm hoping not to have to change too much before I hand my wings in in decade or so.

As a theme park hating colleague of mine once said after somehow being coerced into visiting universal studios on a layover in Florida, that you can generate happiness within yourself from seeing so many happy people.