PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 Spitfire pilot Joy Lofthouse Dies Aged 94
Old 26th Nov 2017, 01:24
briani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So sad to hear of the death of such a remarkable lady. Joan Hughes was also a terrific pilot and fascinating character. My first flight with Joan was in a Beagle Terrier from White Waltham in 1959 when Airways Flying Club was replacing the Chipmunks, I was a very confident youth of 18 who had mastered the art of flying (in my opinion!). After a couple of flights Joan suggested that I would be better driving than flying!. I left somewhat deflated but returned the next month and checked out in the Terrier with a different instructor. In 1979, with some serious flying hours under my belt, I started my Instructor Course with Joan at Wycombe. I was far wiser then and had travelled extensively. The training with Joan was the highlight of my flying career which spanned 55 years and I learned so much from Joan and on the occasions when she talked about her wartime experiences, some amusing, many amazing achievements. We owe so much to those ladies of the ATA.

Last edited by briani; 26th Nov 2017 at 01:28. Reason: date left out