PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London city airport
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2001, 03:25
Raw Data

Cool

Well maybe this is semantics; however, my info is that the F50 is not in any way, shape or form officially an F27. The two are quite different; diferent fuselage, different engines, different wing, different landing gear, no pneumatics on the F50, new flight deck, etc...

Regarding approaches, much as I hate to rain on you parade, you seem to have it backwards. It is usually the F50 slowing us down (in the 146). You see, we maintain 250 kts to about 7 miles, then just go flight idle and open the airbrake. By 4 miles we are at 120 kts, configured for landing and stable. If one is feeling particularly heroic, you can keep 250 kts to 5 miles, but that means not being stable at 120 kts or so until about 2 miles. Sorry, but thems the facts!

Mostly, the reason you get minimum safe approach speed at 20 miles is the same as we do; somebody backtracking for departure. A real pain, until that is it is your turn to backtrack for departure!

One thing is for sure, Fokker made some great aircraft- I used to love flying the F27...