PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest way to convert ICAO to EASA in Europe
Old 25th Nov 2017, 15:51
Transsonic2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA to EASA

Well, it depends what level of license you are aiming for. Converting to an EASA PPL (no matter what level of ICAO license you're holding) is not a big deal and can be done at minimum cost and time. Usually a 2 hr flight in preparation for the check-ride (depends on the flight school how much money they want to squeeze out of you) and the passing of two theoretical knowledge exams is required, airlaw and human performance (preparation can be done via home study). Cost estimate around 2000-3000€ (I spend around 1000€).

If it's about converting from ICAO CPL/IR to EASA CPL/IR with ATPL theory credit one must take and pass all 14 EASA ATP exams, which is quite an extensive affair! In order to take the check-ride additional flight training is required, usually a minimum 15 hr. For most people (particular after studying for the ATP exams, time frame ~ 12-24 month) it's been a while since their last flight and currency must be regained first! Which can add to the total conversion cost!

Based on my own research and experience I came to the conclusion that in Poland the conversion can be done for the least amount of money, especially the flying part of the conversion. This is mainly because Poland still has the Zloty (Euro has not been introduced yet). But keep in mind, if it's been a while since your last flight and if you are not current anymore you need to get current again. Some EASA schools make a big deal out of it, others don't! Regaining currency on an ICAO license, especially a FAA license can be difficult and expensive in Europe!

Cost estimate ICAO CPL/IR to EASA (frozen) ATP:

- EASA ATP studies (distance learning) ~ 2.000-3.000€ (residential / full time course) ~ 5.000-6.000€ (the most time efficient way to get the ATP exams done, time frame about 6 to 7 month. In my opinion money well spent)

- EASA ATP exam fee/s (varies between different member states - some charge a "one-time-fee" only, others charge for each subject and sitting, can add an additional 500 to 2.000€)

- Flying part of the conversion: from 5.000€ up to 20.000€ (depends on if you're current or how proficient you are and the country in which you do the conversion)

- EASA Medical ~ 100€ (Poland) commonly 500-700€

- EASA general radio operator certificate ~ 300-500€

- MCC (multi-crew-coordination course, which is required by most EASA operators) starting at around 2.000€ and upwards (depends on if it's done in combination with a type rating or not. If a type rating is added costs of the conversion will increase by another 15-20k €).

This is only a rough estimate not taking into account any additional costs for traveling, accommodation etc. Which can make quite a difference.

Last edited by Transsonic2000; 25th Nov 2017 at 17:10.