PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are newbees supposed to do?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2003, 00:24
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can one get that Experience without getting a chance to get it?
Start at the bottom of the ladder and build hours as an FI or paradrop or fly in Africa or whatever else you can. Don't expect airlines to pay you to get experience before you apply for the job.

Is there any airline that feels -OK lets set up a department and recruit LOw-Time pilots give them a stipend and let them build hours so they can have the minium requirement to enable them to be hired.
No. None that I know of. Not economical.

In my opinion this should now be made into a mandatory rule for all airlines in all countries to absorb their budding aspiring pilots to feel wanted and have confidence that they are a part of the pilot community and not shunted out like panhandlers.
Again. Not going to happen and would not be as straight forward and simple as the idea seems. Costs are everything in airlines and every airline is trimming costs back to the bare minimum. They are not charities, but businesses and it's just like in any other business - you don't hire extra staff just to make them feel better.

JUST BECAUSE they, due to no fault of theirs do not have the necessary hours or experience ( yeah it is a very idealistic way of thinking) but what the heck! why should they not be helped.
You said. VERY idealistic. One could argue that it is through fault of their own as they weren't prepared to go that extra mile to gain experience on anything that will fly! Help in business comes to those who help themselves and through subsidies when appropriate. Many have already mentioned the supply and demand. From Canada you will understand that immigration into your country is based on what you can bring (in terms of skills that are in short supply) or how much money you can bring to invest. Perhaps avaition isn't so different after all?

After all flying training schools are charging the earth, moon & stars and are dishing out pilots but what is the use of that piece of paper?
It is a requirement for employment, but only part of the overall requirements. They provide a service and charge for it. Aviation is expensive. Full stop (sorry, period) They do not make economic decisions on the finished product and then cut their own noses off to spite their face when they see over supply. They respond to they customers' demand. Just like any business.

I think it is time these youngsters should be absorbed somewhere. afer all they have proved their abilities this far and have a legal rating.
It sounds like what you are advocating is that anyone who can afford the licence should be guaranteed a job. That is not good for the industry as a whole, let alone the employers who would have to bear the costs. We would all like jobs for life but economics dictates that this is just not possible in the modern world of consumer demand for ever increasing competition, choice and low prices.

They can have a tough selection board to weed out the chaff from the wheat so to speak, maybe ask them to put up some kind of security bond, whatever something should be done and FAST.
This sounds like you are now back-tracking and proposing that only the best of the bunch are given the jobs (or experience as you call it). Well that already happens! It's the free market and companies like CTC here in the UK do exactly this.

Maybe some retired Ex-pilots/ Instructor guys can start up such companies and help them out.
They are. I refer you again to companies like CTC.

PPrune readers think about it, mull over it, give suggestions, and do something worthwhile.
Have you followed what Astraeus did here in the UK for Ppruners?

So Moonraker, don't take offence, I have given my thoughts to your ideas as you solicited. However, I am not surprised at some of the remarks that have been posted. I think most people on here saw your ideas as a little niaive, however well intentioned. It all comes down to economics. If you really want to do something then make sure the idea is refreshing and allows for maximum gain for minimal outlay, for the AIRLINES and you will become the next GURU of all Wannabes!

PP