PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather CAMS - CASA has no interest?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2017, 11:04
growahead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clinton, it seems to me the cameras are set at 90 degrees arcs; and guesstimating the field of view of each camera is about 60 degrees, ie + or - 30 degrees from the datum.
Looking at Launceston orientation, a location I have some familiarity; it is true final approach to both 14 and 32 are not shown. However, I think the chosen orientations provide pretty good coverage if, in fact, the available combined viewing area is 240 of the 360 degrees.
For example, the 270 view covers tracks to the west, the training area, and the main inbound route from Devonport.
The 360 view gives good views of the busy VFR track through Targa Gap, and offers an indication of weather close to the approach to 14. It would also cover the valley fog that often forms in that direction.
The 090 view covers track to St Helens, over the high ground and as far south as the eastern limit of Evandale.
180 covers the track to Hobart via the Midlands, and towards Clark.
Generally speaking, all significant high ground can be observed.
Accordingly, I think, in this case, a strategic decision has been correctly made, to make the most of the available (240 or so degrees).
Just my opinion.