PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2017, 21:54
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checkboard,
Just some observations on your post. You make a few assumptions not based on facts, unfortunately so did the ATSB in their report. The pilot himself admitted he had made some errors of judgement, haven't we all. He has undertaken a very intensive program to address those errors.
Its a pity the regulatory authorities and so called "safety" authorities and the operating company are not prepared to admit and address theirs.

"didn't take into account the regulatory requirement to allow for engine failure or depressurisation en route."

There was no regulatory requirement to allow for these under Australian law.

"There is circumstantial evidence that this particular pilot had a habit of not bothering to obtain current winds for return legs"

Exactly, "circumstantial".
At a lot of these pacific island destinations communications can and do prove problematic. In this modern era we are used to gaining instant access to whatever at the touch of a key board.
Oh! internet is down!, can't get a phone call out. Sorry patient, you'll just have to die here because I cannot obtain current weather.

"His in-flight planning appeared sloppy as well, not updating times when they were outside the required 2 minutes (12 minutes early at one point) and missing reporting points."

Err, this is the middle of the Pacific ocean, all coms are via HF. These are not the latest units fitted to these aircraft, they are by and large as old as the airplane, maybe forty years old. At times even the modern units have problems out there, it is not unusual to take rather a long time to get your message out, if at all.

"The pilot said he did this to be light enough to climb above RVSM airspace - but he was permitted to plan in RVSM and as a MED1 priority could expect to maintain that."

Not a true statement, in fact in the ATSB report it indicated the aircraft was held at FL270 for a period because of traffic in RVSM airspace. I have never flown a Westwind but those that have have told me they are a bit of a lead slug trying to get altitude when heavy and hot. It also must be born in mind that out there aircraft separation requires very large spacing, it can take some time to get clearance to higher levels.

The fuel question is addressed in a very detailed analysis by Mr Richard Davies in a submission to the Australian Senate inquiry. It is available for your perusal on the Senate Standing Committees Rural and regional Affairs and transport web sight under submissions.
Full fuel or no, wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome of this incident.

To quote lead Ballon:

"A trap was set for the PIC by the system in which he was variously allowed, encouraged and forced to operate. The ‘tripwire’ on the fateful flight was the incomplete and erroneous weather information about YSNF that misled the PIC."

There but for the grace of god go I.
and quite a bit of sucking up leather over the years.