PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35. How come we aren't getting this version?
Old 24th Nov 2017, 20:17
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

With all respect to the Motherland, figure out what defensive systems you need and pay for all of it yourself.

I have the ultimate respect and admiration for the RAF and one of my early instructors was a Lightning pilot. Then had a RAF exchange officer 6 or 7 years later in a "tactical fighter" squad.

Listen to the Harrier pilots!! If they want to keep those relics going, then I'll rest my case.

The U.S. defense procurement process is very expensive and political. Ya think? The good deal for other countries is that nost of the development $$$ are paid by U.S. taxpayers. So the unit price is somewhat reduced, and in most cases the jet would not be able to be developed and fielded at all. Just imagine the Saudi folks designing, testing and developing an F-15 40 years ago.

Once the PACT "threat" was extremely reduced, the attack version of the Tornado became moot, and we saw the losses in Desert Storm versus an IAD lots less capable as the PACT had back then. I feel the Tiffie has a good role for defense of the homeland. Not so sure/informed about all missions. But where does the U.K. go from here?

Just some musings by this old Yank.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 25th Nov 2017 at 19:48. Reason: typo and clarifying a point