PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2017, 10:05
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a very fair point but unions are the reason that they were paid a good wage, perhaps the TFL equivalent of aviation, well remunerated for the job they did. I don't think a train driver has a skill set worth £50K but they have strong unions. Smashing the unions elsewhere has huge benefits for the consumer, but as ever, I think we go to far. At some point, telling someone they now need to do the same job for less money and fewer benefits is soul destroying. Clearly BA need to compete against (self handling!) DY/D8/DI and EZY but ts&cs in ground handling are appalling with staff turnover at horrendous levels. Service levels plummet as motivated people leave for better opportunities elsewhere.

My hope is that with LS and DY now bringing handling in house and BA with arms length handling now, stability will return and people will paid a better rate. I cannot rejoice in those less fortunate than I having their wages cut again and again all for the benefit of the (middle class) consumer. At some point, it feels immoral.