PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condition for Vortex Ring
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2017, 08:32
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love a good slanging match especially when it comes to 'us' and 'them'.

FH100: Sorry big guy - you're talking boll o cks (like the FAA do - much of the time). Europe and Canada bow to the superiority of the FAA (not).
As Ascend Charlie said - there's a lot of mischief in those FAA manuals.

And this is definitely one of them: SWP.

For the record, this clip is perfect SWP from a very well trained and probably experienced yank driver. He's done these approaches numerous times and is aware of many of the gottcha's out there, I would argue, especially vortex ring.
Which is why he wasn't expecting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DDDpI263qE

And do you know why he wasn't expecting this? Because it wasn't VRS it wasn't even close to VRS. The conditions for VRS were a million miles from this guys approach (into wind/ >30kts to start with / minimal RoD), I bet he wasn't even close to IVRS (vibration, increasing RoD).

This is THE perfect example of SWP and you yanks really do need to wake up and smell the coffee - the rest of the world (for once) aren't wrong with this.

[Day after day - more and more "experienced" pilots come on here and display a level of ignorance which is becoming more and more endemic as we speak. Christ, if experienced driver's are behaving like this - how, in the name of faith can we ever slag off lesser mortals???].

If helicopter pilots don't understand basic aerodynamic/ engine related phenomena like : VRS / IVRS / SWP / PS / LTE / LTA, they should be ashamed to call themselves pilots.

Newfieboy - don't get where you are coming from? Is there a link to God - through long line - to VRS, or something? Is long line the dog's boll o x, then? Are longline pilots world experts in VRS? Keen to know more about this band of brothers gospel according to?