PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of 100 hourly's
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2017, 04:33
Connedrod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clinton McKenzie
I can’t answer for previous posters, but in my case I’ve delivered plenty of training for pilots on how to change oil and oil filters and how to change/remove/check/refit spark plugs on aircraft piston engines. (My observation is that many pilots are usually able to change a light bulb, without the benefit of my training.)

Naturally I tell people to use shifting spanners, hammers and multi-grips to do the job. Using the correct sockets and spanners and calibrated torque wrenches is soooo tedious! Tighten until the veins in your forehead pop and that’s about right is my motto! I’ve always found lockwiring to be difficult, so I now suggest that pilots use solder as it’s nice and soft. The paperwork is beyond me, so nothing goes in the maintenance release.

My expensive kit of calibrated torque wrenches, thread chasers, lockwire pliers, rolls of lockwire, anti-seize, plug gap gauge and tool, multimeter, plug gaskets, sockets, spanners and drives, and the smudged and dog-eared pages of approved maintenance data are all just for ‘show’ because I haven’t a clue what they are for. I’ve never mentioned the regulatory requirements for authorisation to carry out maintenance, the use of approved maintenance data, the recording of damage and defects or the certification of completion of maintenance. Rules schmoolz is my motto!

Yet the various aircraft on which I and my ‘trainees’ have frequently inflicted these amateur atrocities - and trust our lives - are still flying, years later.

My address and phone number are in the book, so I’m surprised I haven’t been arrested for delivering ‘unapproved’ training. Should I hand myself in to the authorities, Conned?

Yes and thats why you were removed from your position within casa.
Toot toot